Growing up, I always thought Sunset was a magazine for old people, so either I’ve gotten old or it’s changed, because I’m completely obsessed with it now, particularly due to their monthly assemblage of seasonal recipes.
One that I’ve recently fallen in love with is their recipe for Pumpkin Curry Empanadas, which I serve with Epicurious.com’s Cilantro Mint Chutney. Anyway, every time I make this recipe, it seems like I always have tons of leftover pumpkin (since the recipe calls for only about half of a pumpkin), so this time, I put those leftovers to good use by making these muffins, served with a smear of vegan ginger butter. They’re dense, hearty and (fairly) healthy, so they make a pretty delicious on-the-go-breakfast, with or without the butter.
Vegan Pumpkin Walnut Muffins with Ginger Butter
Makes 18 muffins.
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon each: freshly grated ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin or red kuri squash puree
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
¼ cup apple sauce
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water)
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon agave nectar for finishing
For Ginger Butter:
3 tablespoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
½ teaspoon agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Prepare a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and ground flaxseed and let sit until a gel-like consistency forms, several minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and sugar). In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredients (pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, oil, apple sauce and flax egg). Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, and top each spoonful of batter with walnuts. Place on the center rack of oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Meanwhile, whip together ingredients for ginger butter.
- While the muffins are still warm, drizzle agave nectar over the top of each.
- Let cool, and enjoy with ginger butter.